Tapping away the Fear of Needles

In my last blog post I spoke about my recent trip to carry out my yearly medical checks by way of drawing blood.  For most people this might be a walk in the park but for me and throughout my life I have had a fear of needles.  As I grew older I have learnt to deal, BUT, it hasn't been easy.  Until now!  

Photo by Hush Naidoo on Unsplash
Since my last post and as promised I have been working on my fear of needles using Emotional Freedom Techniques and I must say it has really helped A LOT.  I know this as I tested the fear out when I went for a vitamin B injection a few days ago.  

Image by Daria Nepriakhina from Pixabay 
I walked into the nurses station cool, calm and collected.  In the past I would sit in the waiting room tapping my anxiety down.  I would even tap on the Sore Spot, Collarbone Point or Sternum Point (depending on how I feel and ease of access depending on the clothes I might be wearing at the time) while the injection was being administered.  However as I did my tapping in the comfort of my own home as a proactive exercise, I didn't feel like I needed to tap at all which was interesting and proof that the tapping worked.  Of course the injection still hurt but I didn't make it worse by anticipating and imagining the pain prior to the appointment and therefore exaggerating the effect and outcome.  This (not playing out and exaggerating the pain and experience) weren't a conscious effort but a natural state of being which I only realized upon reflection on the behavior differences I experienced following the injection, as I was getting reading to write this post.  What's more, the sting of the injection went much quicker than it did prior.  In the past I would walk out of the nurses station rubbing my butt to try and ease the sting and I would continue to do so at points throughout the day.  This time I walked out of there with no discomfort and actually forgot all about the injection throughout the day, no further dull pains I used to experience throughout the day or a need to rub my butt cheek to ease the sting.

Tapping on the Fear of Needles - Example Script



So as promised I will add a tapping example or script on needles below for you to use.  These are examples of the words that I used and which I think may help you.  Always make sure that you adapt the wording in the script examples to match your own vocabulary, experience, situation and primary senses in order to ensure you get the most out of your tapping work.


Remember to always start with taking a measurement from 0 - 10 (0 being no discomfort / 10 being the most discomfort felt)

Setup Phrase

Tap on Karate Chop Point and say:


Even thought I am feeling so anxious about needles and I don't want them near me, I completely love and accept myself;

Even though I am now a 7 on the measurement scale and my fear is not as bad as it could be or not as bad as it wash, I love and accept my mind & bodies ability to adapt to new information and circumstances;

Even though all my muscles in my body tense up with the idea of having to have an injection or have blood drawn, I love, accept and respect where I am right now in this journey.


Tapping Sequence

Tap on each Acupoint in the sequence from Top of Head to Underarm Points and make a statement to describe the problem in your own words preferably:


The thought of that needle penetrating skin and making a hole in my arm and my vein;

Makes me fill up with fear;

I can feel my arm hair raising like my body is trying to warn off an enemy;

My throat starts tightening like I am trying to block a scream or a verbal attack;

My muscles feel so tense especially on my shoulders and my shoulders move inward and closer to my neck;

I envision the feeling of the needle entering my vein and going straight through my arm or something worse;

I feel the needle moving around in my vein when drawing blood;

Every time a new vial is inserted to draw even more blood, the needle moves and I fear it rupturing my vein;

It hurts when that needle enters my skin;

Then the medication is injected and what follows is a clear sting and pain surrounding the injection point;

Surely there is a better way in the world to administer medication quickly;

I feel vulnerable when I have to allow someone to draw blood from my veins that carry an essence of my being;

What if something goes wrong during the injection;

What if something goes wrong during drawing blood and my vein is pierced;

Needles are fearful things, so sharp, silver, shiny metal;

They are often paired with the sterile smell associated with the medical environment;

The sound of the needle being unwrapped;

The sounds of the equipment being put together ready for use, a type of tapping sound of glass, metal and plastic;

The sight of the injection is so aggressive with the sharp end pointing right at me, dangerous, lethal even;

It leaves a sour taste in my mouth, maybe a metal taste;

I can feel the sharp sting as the needle enters my skin and then the pain of the medication that follows;

I can feel the sharp sting of the needle entering my skin and then going through my vein to access my blood;

The time it takes to administer the injection or the drawing of blood feels like an eternity in that moment.

The needle looks huge.



Want to learn Emotional Freedom Techniques?

If you are unfamiliar with EFT and would like to learn tapping for yourself, try my free online course MeTap - FastTrack Course to Living your Best Life with EFT.

Alternatively, learn more advanced or specialized EFT skills by checking out the below courses:



Keep in touch 

Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash
Follow me on Instagram @thewell_beinginstitute 

Like my Facebook page @thewellbeinginstitute

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel dedicated to taking you on journeys of relaxation, self discovery and healing via guided meditations The Well-Being Institute 



Copyright © - The Well-Being Institute - All Rights Reserved

Popular Posts