Tapping on Negative Feelings leading up to Birthdays

It is my birthday and I am another year older and wiser.  I love my birthday and I fully expect to feel loved, appreciated and joyful each year.  However the lead up to my birthday fills me with anxiety.


Image by Cucu Petronela from Pixabay 
So for the last few years I have been experiencing a sense of anxiety in the weeks leading up to my birthday.  I seem to feel all the should have's and could have's around this time.  You know, those annoying ego based fears that creep up when another year seems to have passed without having achieved the success or having made the progress I expected for myself at this point in my life.  These thoughts circle my mind and ignite my anxiety of time running out as if a door is steadily closing on all the wonderful things I had planned for myself.  Maybe you have also had this experience in your life like you SHOULD have it all figured out by now or COULD have been living the life of your dreams. For example, thinking:


I could lost more weight and be closer to my ideal;

I should have followed a career that made financial sense instead of chasing my dreams;

I should have been more financially stable by now;

I should have put more money away for my retirement;

I should have gone out more and laughed more;

I could have made more time for myself;

I could have learnt more skills that interest me;

I could have done this and that differently.


It may be something that everyone goes through around their birthday or it may just be this time of year where Christmas is approaching and with that another New Year.  This time of year tends to force one to look back on the year and reflect on one's life.  These reflections can often feel challenging, depressing, anxious...

When I feel like this I turn to EFT Tapping which always calms me down.  Using EFT on this issue helped me realize that I am only human and I am doing the very best that I can.  It takes the pressure off by allowing my negative thoughts to slow in momentum, stop and then moving my thoughts to more positive thinking.  Furthermore, Tapping then allows my body to move the negative energy and feelings out of my body instead of it compiling, causing havoc throughout the holiday season and beyond.


Let's Tap on These Negative Feelings about Getting Older


  1. Identify the Feeling you are looking to work on.  For me it was a feeling of Fear but for you it may be Anger, Depression, Sadness...
  2. Determine the SUDS (Subjective Units of Distress Scale) of the emotion that you will tapping on.
  3. Get comfortable and start tapping...

    • Tap on the Karate Chop point and make 3 statements for example:
Even though I am overwhelmed by a feeling of fear around this time of the year and leading up to my birthday, I completely and utterly love and accept myself;

Even though I have all these thoughts of the things that I should have and could have done over the past year and looking back at my life, I understand that I am doing the best I can and I love and accept myself completely;

Even though I could have and should have done better in my life, I forgive myself for only being human and I accept and love the human being that I am.


    • Tap on each Acupoint (TOH to UA) in the Tapping Sequence and make a statement that is personal to you that relates to the issue you are working on here for example:

I should have been so much further along in my life by now;

I always thought that by now I would have been in my dream career;

I thought that I would be my ideal weight by now;

I thought that my relationships would have less work by now but instead needs so much more love and attention than at the start;

I should have been financially independent at this age;

I wanted to do so many things that I just didn't get around to this year;

I should have been able to travel more;

I could have lived the life I intended to live at this age;

So many things have changed though;

I have learnt a lot that I wouldn't have learnt in different circumstances;

I should have been more secure by now;

I feel like the door to opportunity is closing on me;

The older I get the less I feel like I will achieve my goals;

I feel like my drive and stamina have left the building;

Maybe the hope has left the building and reality is in it's place.




    Take a deep breath in and out.  Check your SUDS again.  Continue tapping again starting with the KC point and moving on to the rest of the Acupoints in the sequence until you reach a zero on the SUDS.  Notice as you move down on the SUDS that your statements naturally become more positive and neutral.  

    Make sure you use statements that are personal to you and your thoughts and situation.  The above example is useful to you as a guide only and your job is to keep the statements that feel right to you and change the statements that don't fit who you are as a person and own personal situation.


    Want to learn Emotional Freedom Techniques?




    If you are unfamiliar with EFT and would like to learn tapping for yourself, try my free online course MeTap - FastTrack Course to Living your Best Life with EFT.

    Alternatively, learn more advanced or specialized EFT skills by checking out the below courses:



    Stay in Touch


    Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash

    Follow me on Instagram @thewell_beinginstitute 

    Like my Facebook page @thewellbeinginstitute

    Subscribe to my YouTube Channel dedicated to taking you on journeys of relaxation, self discovery and healing via guided meditations The Well-Being Institute 



    Copyright © 2019 - The Well-Being Institute - All Rights Reserved




    Popular Posts