Back to the scene of the crime...

So just when you think you have recovered from a traumatic event or something that you might be working on...you get tested.

Image by Parentingupstream from Pixabay
A few months ago a wrote about my traumatic experience where my mother went for a operation and went into cardiac arrest right in front of me...at the point when she was supposed to be recovering from the anesthetics.  It was terrible and EFT helped me greatly to recover from the ordeal.

Today I had to go to the same hospital ward and past the same room where it all took place.  I didn't know how I was going to feel but I didn't know that I was going to feel such a mixture of emotions.  I rated myself as a 6 on the SUDS (intensity measurement scale from 0 - 10, 10 being the most intensity possible and zero being no intensity at all).

As I walked past the room today with my mother (who have recovered so well) I had a flash of what we both went through that night.  Neither really understanding the others' experience of the ordeal but both knowing the chronological events and the feelings associated with our shared traumatic experience, yet having a completely different memory and experience of the event.  It is a strange thing how people can go through one traumatic event, yet have completely different viewpoints, feelings, memories and experiences of the same event.  

Trauma is such an abstract, intangible concept that one only really fully understand when right in the eye of the storm. 

I realized that as soon as I get home, I will need to do a bit more work on this to prevent future recurrences of this experience or even potential PTSD symptoms developing.  

I now share with you my EFT tapping wording or script that I used to deal with the anxiety that is still surrounding this traumatic event.  The wording will be very specific to my event in order to provide you with an example of the verbal and psychological side of EFT.  

If you have had a traumatic event in your life, I hope that you will find the wording and procedure below useful to help reduce and even eliminate any symptoms surrounding your trauma that keeps popping up and causing discomfort.   The most important thing to note is to always tailor the wording to you specifically and to how you experience your symptoms particularly.

Tap on KC point do your setup phrase:

Even though I am feeling a lot of emotions right now that I thought I have dealt with already, I know my body is telling me to take notice and I love my body for that;

Even though I have this anxiety that is stirring in my chest, I love and respect my feelings;

Even though the flashbacks are bringing so much emotion that I am scared to fully even view it right now, I love and accept myself completely.

Tap on the TOH point and work your way down to the UA point.  On each point say something about the experience, feelings, visions.  Below are statements that I used but please make the statements specific to you and your experience in order to get the best results from your EFT practice. 

This emotion that is building in my chest;

The flashbacks that is putting me right back to where I was in that moment;

I remember how much it hurt;

I remember the absolute fear;

I remember the absolute helplessness;

I remember feeling so overwhelmed;

And yet there are new patients in that very room, recovering as if nothing ever happened;

But for me that night changed me forever;

I now know what absolute loss feels like;

That knowing that every cell in my body have somehow shifted and changed forever;

And now that fear that I will experience that again in my life;

I am afraid that I will experience trauma like that again;

I know that I will have to live through losing loved ones just like everyone else;

But I am so afraid of seeing it and feeling it so intensely like I did that day;

My nerves that I thought have acclimatized to the new normal;

Have given me warning that there is still some live wires that need tending to.


When you have completed a round or even a few tapping rounds and you are ready, take a breath and check your SUDS level again.  Continue again with your setup phrase and then your tapping rounds, stopping after every round (or several rounds if you prefer) until you reach a zero on the scale. 

If you are new to EFT or want to refresh your tapping skills, take a look on my free course MeTap on The Well-Being Institute or on Udemy.com.

Follow me on Instagram: @thewell_beinginstitute







Popular Posts